Data is just a collection of ones and zeroes. Unless you’re able to meaningfully extract information from it, it’s useless. Futhermore, it can be an intimidating task. Mining data and extracting information is the unseen driver of all major technological processes, including healthcare. Healthcare analytics can help hospitals run more economically and efficiently. It can also aid patient care and save lives.
What Is Healthcare Analytics?
Healthcare analytics is a system of data analysis that helps providers and health professionals gain insights into clinic operations. These insights are valuable in supporting decision making and optimizing clinic processes.
Healthcare analytics focuses on key areas including medical costs, clinical data, and patient behaviour to effectively streamline operations.
There are specific data technologies that can be used to analyze different aspects of healthcare. Let’s consider if a clinic deals with a lot of appointments and visits, it can be useful to use data to analyze and predict at which point that clinic will be most busy. These touchpoints can help provide insight into the efficiency of a particular clinic & support improvement.
1. Improve quality of clinical care by improving access to patient’s data, being able to analyze past appointment trends, predict future trends, and map growth.
2. Access actionable insights that can inform future interactions with patients.
3. Increase chances of better engagement by uncovering root cause. Uncovering the root cause of response – or lack of response – can help clinics plan personalized outreach programs.
4. Cut down on administrative costs by streamlining clinic processes & automating routine work.
5. Improves patient wellness by providing information to patients based on how they can maintain a healthy lifestyle tailored to their medical history.
Use Cases Of Data Analytics in Healthcare
1. Electronic Health Records
This is the defining point of healthcare analytics. Every patient has a personal health file that includes their medical history, demographic, health information, and prescriptions. This health record is stored digitally; every health record is an adjustable file. These records can be updated and shared across medical personnel. This results in lack of redundancy and repetition while allowing for transparency.
2. Disease Surveillance & Prevention
Structured & unstructured data is a part of analytics. The process of extracting valuable, actionable insights is what makes it important. This is how healthcare analytics can work in disease surveillance:
-Study the patterns presented in the data and check for any recurring patterns or trends.
– Use the analyzed data to come up with preventive techniques, medicines and vaccines.
– Work towards preventing further infection by checking where prompt care should be provided.
3. Easier Diagnosis
It becomes easier to analyze large volumes of data and extract insights about the ailments which would otherwise prove impossible to predict. As a result, it can add a significant touchpoint for intervention. It does this through identifying which patients are at a higher risk for disease, and predicts diagnosis.
4. Better Health Outcomes
Healthcare analytics helps provide a personalized touch, understand the patient’s needs accurately and even motivates them to improve their health. The personalized strategy delivered through analytics can really help the clinician provide better outcomes.
5. Evaluates Provider Performance
Implementing healthcare analytics provides new methods & techniques to evaluate and judge providers’ performance. These evaluations can be made at the point of delivery, and accurate feedback can be assessed. The feedback is crucial for patients & providers; providers know the key improvement areas, patients benefit from personalized care.
The Bottom Line
Healthcare analytics plays a crucial role in generating long-term positive engagement, reducing patient cost, managing risk, and sustaining patient-provider relationships. Every clinic with a hospital management software can take advantage of data analytics. If your clinic is struggling with managing processes, you can sign up for TABIIB Desk – and avail all the benefits of healthcare analytics.